Dr Sharon Hoover is an expert in helping teachers, school counsellors and principals support students who are struggling with mental health issues. She speaks to Jim on RNZ about how best to help young people going through stress and trauma and the role which schools can play.
Summary of key points covered:
- How students, parents and teachers are impacted by mental health issues.
- Distinguishing between everyday stressors and those which require intervention.
- Examining the avenues of support for schools from the community.
- Resourcing and teacher training as a means to assist with identifying students at risk.
- The challenges of securing financial and political support.
- The short-term and long-term benefits of early intervention in schools: integrating skills into the curriculum, availability of support, reduction in dropping-out.
- Discussion on youth suicide: impact of social media, screen time, connection and disconnection, and possible solutions emerging from early identification and intervention.